Friday, August 21, 2009

Amazing Polak's Inspirational Comeback

Graham Polak’s comeback is a story of courage, pride, and above all, determination.
The same determination that has punctuated the stories of those footballers who have come before him in overcoming adversity – in Jason McCartney, and in Adam Ramanauskas.
Tomorrow, the 26-year-old will play his first game since June last year.
It was then that he was hit by a tram crossing Dandenong Rd in Armadale.
He was rushed to hospital, spent a couple of days in an induced coma, and it was feared he would never walk again, let alone play football.
His long road to recovery began with learning to walk and talk again – making a return to the AFL look improbable at best, a pipe dream at worst.
But somehow Polak will break through the banner tomorrow afternoon and achieve the goal he said kept him going for the last 12 months.
He said today the overwhelming emotion was relief.
"I can't wait to get back out there, and show them I still can play footy – it's going to be a real buzz and I'm looking forward to it," he said.
"It'll be a big relief to be able to get back, I'll run out with a smile on my face.”
Polak revealed he has no recollection of the night, but says he has to laugh when he talks about the incident now.
“I laugh about it now, I know it was a serious one but I can’t let it sit there and get me down my whole life.
“I sit there and laugh and say ‘How can I get hit by a tram that’s stuck on two tracks?’. It was a silly thing but I’ve got a good story to tell my kids and grandkids.”
Polak’s desire to prove to himself and to the club that he could play at the highest level again has driven his every action since that day.
“I never lost doubt I could play AFL football," Polak said this morning before training.
“I just want to get out there and repay faith the club has shown me.”
Richmond has been as supportive as any club could have been, but even coach Jade Rawlings had his doubts.
“Even six weeks ago I said to him it would be unlikely that I could see him getting back to senior footy," Rawlings said. "But he kept progressing, and every time there's been resistance and someone's been prepared to say he can't come back, he's fought even harder."
Polak is out of contract in just a few weeks, but says this isn’t a one-game return like that of Jason McCartney.
“I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to play AFL.”
Polak played his first game in the VFL as early as March, but copped a heavy hit to the head in that match against Frankston and was taken from the ground.
But he says he’ll have no hesitation putting his head over the ball tomorrow.
“Not at all – that's part of football,” he said.
“I'm not going to step back from that challenge, and if the ball's there to be won, I'll be throwing everything into it to get that ball.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gazza's Goal

Gazza's Goal
Paul Gascoigne scores against Arsenal in the first FA Cup Semi-Final to be played at Wembley, April 14, 1991